ABOUT ME

Since I can remember, I’ve been by my mom’s side learning how to cook and by my dad’s side learning how to build things. I also met some friends who showed me yoga, and now I practice every day and teach to both kids and adults. Life is always an adventure–from making french toast, to refinishing hardwood floors, or learning how to press into handstand. I’m here to share all with you, in nicely categorized areas of my life.


EAT

Right now, most people cook with 20% confidence in a recipe. The other 80% is stress in second guessing yourself when your food doesn’t look like the recipe you found on Pinterest. So many recipes don’t really work. #pinterestproblems. For me, I collected enough experience points to level up my cooking instinct through years of burning food with my mom, Julia Child, and Ina Garten. Now I can look at a recipe, and then adapt it to the yum level that I know and love. Lately that means 1 clove of garlic converts to 1 bulb of garlic. #garlicfansareyouwithme

I hope through sharing my recipes and learnings, you’ll take away some yum recipes and level up from “what’s a colander” to “my leaven is ready for bulk fermentation” (<–psst that’s code for BAKING BREAD).


HOME

In 2014, my brother and I bought 2 houses next door to one another near downtown Houston. They were built around 1910, abandoned for at least 10 years, and in the poorest condition we could possibly imagine. But we loved the location, the character of the homes, and the fact that we were brothers living in houses next door to one another. Over the next two years, with the help of my parents, we knocked down walls, ripped off siding, reinforced the frame of the house, put new walls up, restored hundred year old flooring, installed new bathrooms, bedrooms, and kitchens. Whew.

In 2016, I made the decision to leave my fancy consulting job to continue the work we are doing, buy more houses, and fix them up. As I continue the journey, I’ll share with you the tips and tricks and how-to’s I’ve learned over the years, and maybe you’ll be inspired to paint the room in your house that’s still the ugly builder beige color since you’ve lived in it.


YOGA

Before I got the houses, I moved into an apartment complex that my friend lived in. She was a yoga teacher. At the time, I was not lifting heavy things and avoiding all things that caused me to sweat. I believed that running was reserved for times when you were being chased. She took me to take a yoga class, and I’ve been hooked ever since.

Fast forward to 2017, I now teach yoga regularly to both adults and kids at Big Power Yoga. Honestly, I think they’re all kids classes, adults are just a little quieter during class. And there’s so much to learn about the body, the way it works as a system of muscles and bones and everything in between. Just standing has a million nuances to it. Without diving into the many rabbit holes of yoga, which I’m tempted to do here, I’ll leave you with this confusing nugget of gold. Yoga isn’t about the poses, and at the same time it is; Life isn’t about getting it right, and at the same time it is.